Southern mock fried Okra
Updated: Feb 26
I grew up in Georgia where fried Okra was a staple. While I still love it, I discovered you can make it healthier and just as tasty as my sweet mamas.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup fat free buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 lb fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into 3/4 inch slices
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine cornmeal, panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk
4. Add okra to buttermilk mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 3 minutes.
5. Dredge okra in cornmeal/crumb mixture.
6. Place okra in a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining salt over the okra.
7. Bake for 30-35 mintues, stirring once, until okra is golden brown and crispy
i take recipes from my childhood and make them healthier. Give me a shout to help convert your favorite southern dish to a healthier one!